University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Tel: 949-824-2717; Email: email@example.com
My research group studies instability, turbulence, and transport in laboratory and space plasmas. First-principles massively parallel simulations (using GTC code) and associated theory have led to physics discovery in turbulence self-regulation by zonal flows, transport scaling, and wave-particle decorrelation in plasma turbulence. I am leading a multi-institutional U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) SciDAC project (GSEP Center) in support of burning plasma experiment ITER, the crucial next step in the quest for fusion energy.
Selected Recent Publications:
· Microturbulence in DIII-D Tokamak Pedestal. I. Electrostatic Instabilities, D. Fulton, Z. Lin, I. Holod, and Y. Xiao, Phys. Plasmas 21, 042110 (2014).
· Radial Localization of Toroidicity-Induced Alfven Eigenmodes, Zhixuan Wang, Zhihong Lin, Ihor Holod, W. W. Heidbrink, Benjamin Tobias, Michael Van Zeeland, and M. E. Austin, Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 145003 (2013).
· Nonlinear generation of zonal fields by the beta-induced Alfven eigenmode in tokamak, H. S. Zhang and Z. Lin, Plasma Sci. Technol. 15, 969 (2013).
· Verification of particle simulation of radio frequency waves in fusion plasmas, A. Kuley, Z. X. Wang, Z. Lin, and F. Wessel, Phys. Plasmas 20, 102515 (2013).
· Does the orbit-averaged theory require a scale separation between periodic orbit size and perturbation correlation length? Wenlu Zhang and Zhihong Lin, Phys. Plasmas 20, 102306 (2013).
· GTC simulation of ideal ballooning mode in tokamak plasmas, Z. Li, G. Sun, I. Holod, Y. Xiao, W. Zhang, and Z. Lin, Plasma Sci. Technol. 15, 499 (2013).
· Comparison of toroidicity-induced Alfven eigenmodes and energetic particle modes by gyrokinetic particle simulations, Chenxi Zhang, Wenlu Zhang, Zhihong Lin, Ding Li, Phys. Plasmas 20, 052501 (2013).
· Verification of Electromagnetic Fluid-Kinetic Hybrid Electron Model in Global Gyrokinetic Particle Simulation, I. Holod and Z. Lin, Phys. Plasmas 20, 032309 (2013).
· Nonlinear dynamics of beta-induced Alfven eigenmode in tokamak, H. S. Zhang, Z. Lin, W. Deng, I. Holod, Z. X. Wang, Y. Xiao, W. L. Zhang, Phys. Plasmas 20, 012510 (2013).
· Nonlinear Frequency Oscillation of Alfven Eigenmodes in Fusion Plasmas, H. S. Zhang, Z. Lin, and I. Holod, Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 025001 (2012).
· Verification of Gyrokinetic Particle Simulation of Device Size Scaling of Turbulent Transport, Z. H. Lin, S. Ethier, T. S. Hahm, and W. M. Tang, Plasma Sci. Technol. 14, 1125 (2012).
· Linear properties of reversed shear Alfven eigenmodes in DIII-D tokamak, W. Deng, Z. Lin, I. Holod, Z. Wang, Y. Xiao, and H. Zhang, Nuclear Fusion 52, 043006 (2012).
· Turbulent Transport of Toroidal Angular Momentum in Fusion Plasmas, I. Holod, Z. Lin, and Y. Xiao, Phys. Plasmas 19, 012314 (2012).
Highly Cited (>100 citations by SCI):
1. Turbulent Transport Reduction by Zonal Flows: Massively Parallel Simulations, Z. Lin, T. S. Hahm, W. W. Lee, W. M. Tang, and R. B. White, Science 281, 1835 (1998).
2. Effects of Collisional Zonal Flow Damping on Turbulent Transport, Z. Lin, T. S. Hahm, W. W. Lee, W. M. Tang, and P. H. Diamond, Phys. Rev. Lett. 83, 3645 (1999).
3. Shearing rate of time-dependent E X B flow, T. S. Hahm, M. A. Beer, Z. Lin, G. W. Hammett, W. W. Lee, and W. M. Tang, Phys. Plasmas 6, 922 (1999).
4. Excitation of zonal flow by drift waves in toroidal plasmas, Liu Chen, Zhihong Lin, and Roscoe White, Phys. Plasmas 7, 3129 (2000).
5. Size Scaling of Turbulent Transport in Magnetically Confined Plasmas, Z. Lin, T. S. Hahm, S. Ethier, and W. M. Tang, Phys. Rev. Lett. 88, 195004 (2002).